Please join The Free Thinking Film Society at the National Archives (395 Wellington) on March 9th for “Canada and Afghanistan: Keeping Our Promises”, a presentation of the Canada-Afghanistan Solidarity Committee’s vision for Canada’s re-dedication to the cause of Afghan reconstruction, human rights and democracy, post-2011.
Speakers at this event will include:
- Ehsanullah Ehsan (appearing by video from Afghanistan), Director of the Afghan-Canadian Community Centre in Kandahar City
- Nipa Banerjee, Professor of international development at the University of Ottawa who served as Canada’s head of aid in Kabul for three years
- Nasrine Gross, Afghan-American writer and human rights activist
- Major-General (Ret’d) Lewis Mackenzie, Served in the Canadian Forces for 35 years, including a UN peacekeeping command in Yugoslavia in 1992, he is also an author and media commentator; he was awarded the Order of Canada in 2006
- Dr. Douglas Bland, Chair of the Defence Management Studies Program at the School of Policy Studies, Queen’s University
- Lauryn Oates, Human rights and gender equity activist; CASC senior advisor
After the speeches and panel discussion, there will then be a cocktail reception – which will serve as a fundraiser for Afghan-Canadian Community Center (“The Afghan School Project“) in Kandahar. Canadian International Learning Foundation volunteers will be on hand to meet with you and share some of our students’ stories of studying in Afghanistan.
Please join us for this very important event – and in the process, help Afghan men and women receive life-changing education.
Admission is $30, $15 for students. The event runs from 7:00 to 10:30 pm.
Tickets can no longer be purchased online. However, a limited number of tickets will be available at the door.
Note: If you purchase tickets online, you will not receive a physical ticket. We will keep a list of ticket holders and check photo ID at the door.
Or you can purchase tickets from the following retail outlets:
Ottawa Folklore Centre
1111 Bank Street
Ottawa, ON K1S 3X4
190 Bank Street
Ottawa, ON K2P 1W8
785 1/2 Bank Street